Latest News

Favor ate

Tuesday 7 May 2019

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes

https://www.blogvoter.com/p/ left;" trbidi="on">

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes

Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace.

If men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail.

There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party.

So vast a sum, receiving all the protection and benefits of the government, without bearing its proportion of the burdens and expenses of the same, will not be looked upon acquiescently by those who have to pay the taxes. . . . I would suggest the taxation of all property equally.

Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what are we going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do.

I appreciate the fact, and am proud of it, that the attentions I am receiving are intended more for our country than for me personally.

Really, Mr. Lincoln, I have had enough of this show business.

Captain, give me a gun – The blamed fight ain’t got no rear.” Unknown Ohio private who after attempting to retreat to the rear of the army concluded that in this fight, there was no place of safety.

Lee’s army will be your objective point. Wherever Lee goes, there you will go also.

We will be whipped like hell before ten o’clock tomorrow.” Confederate Colonel Nathan Bedford Forrest who witnessed thousands of Union reinforcements arrive at night after the first day’s fighting.

Encourage free schools and resolve that not one dollar appropriated for their support shall be appropriated to the support of any sectarian schools. Resolve that neither the state nor nation, nor both combined, shall support institutions of learning other than those sufficient to afford every child growing up in the land of opportunity of a good common school education, unmixed with sectarian, pagan, or atheistically dogmas. Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church and the private school supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate.

My family is American, and has been for generations, in all its branches, direct and collateral

A hero does for others. He would do anything for people he loves, because he knows it would make their lives better. I am not that kind of person, but I want you to be. You could give something to her, to me, to those children in the quarter. You could give something I never could … The white people out there are saying you don’t have it-that you’re a hog, not a man. But I know they are wrong.

I have never advocated war except as means of peace, so seek peace, but prepare for war. Because war… War never changes. War is like winter and winter is coming.

I don’t think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I thought so at that time when I was a youngster only I had not moral courage enough to resign.

In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.


Also Read :



Ulysses S. Grant Quotes on Slavery

I will raid the arsenal and start a war to end slavery.

The cause of the Great War of the Rebellion against the United States will have to be attributed to slavery.

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes on Country
Whatever there is of greatness in the United States, or indeed in any other country, is due to labor. The laborer is the author of all greatness and wealth. Without labor there would be no government, no leading class, and nothing to preserve.

The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meagre–what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation.

In 1856…I preferred the success of a candidate whose election would prevent or postpone secession, to seeing the country plunged into a war the end of which no man could foretell. With a Democrat elected by the unanimous vote of the Slave States, there could be no pretext for secession for four years…. I therefore voted for James Buchanan as President.

The natural disposition of most people is to clothe a commander of a large army whom they do not know, with almost superhuman abilities. A large part of the National army, for instance, and most of the press of the country, clothed General Lee with just such qualities, but I had known him personally, and knew that he was mortal; and it was just as well that I felt this.

Ulysses S Grant Quotes on President
If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes on Civil War
I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer.

Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions.

I know only two tunes: one of them is ‘Yankee Doodle,’ and the other isn’t.

Wherever the enemy goes let our troops go also.

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes on Battle of Shiloh
My God, we are attacked!” Sherman, whose list of quotes could fill a book, stating the obvious. Sherman had denied for days the possibility of an attack only to see the Union army get nearly overwhelmed the first day.

I would fight them if they were a million.” Confederate General Albert S. Johnston. Johnston proved indefatigable when discussion on canceling the attack was held with his fellow generals on the eve of battle.

Take your damned regiment back to Ohio. There is no enemy closer than Corinth.” Union General William T. Sherman railing against one of his regimental commanders who insisted that an attack was imminent. I bet Sherman wished he had never said that.

Well, Grant, we’ve had the devil’s own day, haven’t we?” Sherman. “Yes, lick “em tomorrow, though,” Union General Ulysses S. Grant. Suffering through a rainstorm after the first day’s battle where almost everything went against him, Grant vowed to fight on the next day. Perhaps no other quote better symbolizes Grant’s dogged determination.

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes about Friends
When the men were all back in their places in line, the command to advance was given. As I looked down that long line of about three thousand armed men, advancing towards a larger force also armed, I thought what a fearful responsibility General Taylor must feel, commanding such a host and so far away from friends. The Mexicans immediately opened fire upon us, first with artillery and then with infantry. At first their shots did not reach us, and the advance was continued. As we got nearer, the cannon balls commenced going through the ranks. They hurt no one, however, during this advance, because they would strike the ground long before they reached our line, and ricocheted through the tall grass so slowly that the men would see them and open ranks and let them pass.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who have helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.

Ulysses S Grant Quotes on Leadership
Two commanders on the same field are always one too many

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes about Robert E Lee
I had known General Lee in the old army, and had served with him in the Mexican War; but did not suppose, owing to the difference in our age and rank, that he would remember me, while I would more naturally remember him distinctly, because he was the chief of staff of General Scott in the Mexican War. When I had left camp that morning I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place, and consequently was in rough garb. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horseback on the field, and wore a soldier’s blouse for a coat, with the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. When I went into the house I found General Lee. We greeted each other, and after shaking hands took our seats. I had my staff with me, a good portion of whom were in the room during the whole of the interview. What General Lee’s feelings were I do not know. As he was a man of much dignity, with an impassible face, it was impossible to say whether he felt inwardly glad that the end had finally come, or felt sad over the result, and was too manly to show it. Whatever his feelings, they were entirely concealed from my observation; but my own feelings, which had been quite jubilant on the receipt of his letter, were sad and depressed. I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse.

Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault and land in our rear and on both our flanks at the same time! Go back to you command and try to think what we are going to do ourselves instead of what Lee is going to do.

Short Ulysses S. Grant Quotes
I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation.

The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meagre–what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation.

In politics I am growing indifferent – I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home

Hold fast to the Bible. To the influence of this Book we are indebted for all the progress made in true civilization and to this we must look as our guide in the future.

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes about Church
I would suggest the taxation of all property equally, whether church or corporation, exempting only the last resting place of the dead and possibly, with proper restrictions, church edifices.

I would suggest the taxation of all property equally whether church or corporation.

I would like to call your attention to … an evil that, if allowed to continue, will probably lead to great trouble … It is the accumulation of vast amounts of untaxed church property.

Declare church and state forever separate and distinct; but each free within their proper spheres.

Ulysses S Grant Quotes Mexican War
With a soldier the flag is paramount . . . I know the struggle with my conscience during the Mexican War. I have never altogether forgiven myself for going into that. I had very strong opinions on the subject. I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I thought so at the time, when I was a youngster, only I had not moral courage enough to resign. I had taken an oath to serve eight years, unless sooner discharged, and I considered my supreme duty was to my flag. I had a horror of the Mexican War, and I have always believed that it was on our part most unjust. The wickedness was not in the way our soldiers conducted it, but in the conduct of our government in declaring war. The troops behaved well in Mexico, and the government acted handsomely about the peace. We had no claim on Mexico. Texas had no claim beyond the Nieces River, and yet we pushed on to the Rio Grande and crossed it. I am always ashamed of my country when I think of that invasion.

Ulysses S. Grant Quotes on Army
Lee’s army will be your objective point. Wherever Lee goes, there you will go also.


A military life had no charms for me, and I had not the faintest idea of staying in the army even if I should be graduated, which I did not expect.


Subscribe